SAS Summer 2023: New Routes And More Frequencies
Do you remember we mentioned SAS Summer 2023 plans some time ago? Well, it’s getting real! Scandinavian Airlines will expand its flight offerings this summer and autumn, adding ten more routes and increasing frequencies to accommodate growing travel demand. Starting in June, the airline will also resume its Tokyo service.
As summer approaches, SAS plans to introduce ten additional European routes and boost flight frequencies to popular Mediterranean destinations, including Alicante, Malaga, Mallorca, Split, and Sicily. This comes in addition to the 20 new routes previously announced! If you’ve been to Stockholm Arlanda or Copenhagen Kastrup airport during previous summers, you can tell from experience that it can get really crowded. Most people go to summer destinations like those.
SAS will offer up to seven daily flights from Scandinavia to Milan and more flights from Copenhagen to Florence and Naples. The airline will also increase domestic flights from Oslo to Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, and Ålesund and flights from Copenhagen to Ålesund. In addition, more flights and seats will be available between Stockholm and Helsinki.
“We are thrilled to welcome our passengers back and see the growing desire to travel. SAS is enhancing its capacity this summer by adding more routes and flights to popular destinations. We are excited to return to Tokyo with three weekly flights in June and launch new routes to Newark.”Erik Westman, EVP Network and Revenue Management, Scandinavian Airlines SAS
SAS will operate flights from Gothenburg and Aalborg to Newark, New York, using an Airbus A321LR, expanding its presence in the US. Starting in June, SAS will resume service to Haneda, Tokyo, three times a week, with several flights to Tokyo scheduled in April to meet high demand around Easter. The route will be operated by an Airbus A350 aircraft (check my SAS A350 first flight here and the latest review here).
During the spring SAS will also add a third weekly service on the Copenhagen to Shanghai route. I always wanted to hop on this route! It is still on my wishlist.
SAS’s fleet includes some of the most environmentally friendly aircraft on the market, such as the Airbus A350 and A321LR for long-haul routes and the Airbus A320neo for short-haul routes, reducing emissions by 15% to 30%.
New routes added to the summer traffic program include Stockholm-Florence, Stockholm-Larnaca, Oslo-Tenerife, Oslo-Hamburg, Oslo-Berlin, Oslo-Prague, Bergen-Palma de Mallorca, Bergen-Manchester, Trondheim-Split, and Oslo-Tallinn.
Additional flights have been added to several routes, including Copenhagen, Oslo, and Stockholm to Barcelona, Malaga, and Palma de Mallorca; Stockholm to Beirut (pending regulatory approval); Copenhagen to Catania and Palermo; Oslo to Alicante and Las Palmas; and Bergen and Stavanger to Alicante and Split.
SAS Summer 2023: New Flights
New routes added to the summer traffic program:
- Stockholm-Florence – new twice-weekly service on Fridays and Sundays from mid-August
- Stockholm-Larnaca – new weekly service on Saturdays from mid-August
- Oslo-Tenerife – new weekly service on Tuesdays from late June to mid-August
- Oslo-Hamburg – up to twice-weekly service resumed from Easter
- Oslo-Berlin – up to five times-weekly services resumed from Easter
- Oslo-Prague – new twice-weekly service on Thursdays and Sundays from end-September
- Bergen-Palma de Mallorca – new weekly service on Saturdays from mid-June to mid-August
- Bergen-Manchester – twice-weekly service resumed on Mondays and Fridays from September
- Trondheim-Split – new weekly service on Saturdays from the end of May to mid-October
- Oslo-Tallinn – new twice-weekly service on Thursdays and Sundays from mid-August
More flights added on multiple routes, such as:
- Copenhagen, Oslo, and Stockholm to Barcelona, Malaga, and Palma de Mallorca
- Stockholm to Beirut (subject to regulatory approval)
- Copenhagen to Catania and Palermo
- Oslo to Alicante and Las Palmas
- Bergen and Stavanger to Alicante
- Bergen and Stavanger to Split
Overall, exciting times for Scandinavian Airlines after the restructuring. I really hope operations go smoothly during the upcoming summer. I haven’t checked out how many of those new flights and routes are available to book using SAS EuroBonus points, but let’s cross our fingers that the seat availability will be good.
PRO TIP: Use AwardFares to check EuroBonus seat availability in seconds. Get 20% off your yearly subscription using my link.
Full Press Release here.
Other posts you’ll love
- ChatGPT and Scandinavian Airlines: What It Knows About SAS And EuroBonus (2023)
- SAS Prepares 20 New Routes And 5000 Flights For Summer 2023
- SAS JFK To Copenhagen Starts in February 2023 (New Direct Flight)
- Scandinavian Airlines SAS A350 Copenhagen to San Francisco Trip Report (2022 Review)
- How To Earn 1 MILLION SAS EuroBonus Points (Guide)