Plutus: The New Way To Get Free Spotify or Netflix in 2023 (Plutus Perks)
As many readers know, during 2020 and 2021 I was getting free Spotify and free Netflix using my Crypto.com Royal Indigo card. It was really lucrative during those months, but after the pandemic, I stopped using the card.
They announced serious cutbacks in their program, and they stopped reimbursing Spotify and Netflix. Ugh! For months, people have been asking me what’s the alternative, and the answer is Plutus.
Get €10 after you deposit €20
Free Perk (Spotify or Netflix rebate)
3% to 8% cashback
Refer friends and get €10
Get €20 after you deposit €100
2% cashback or 0.5% in BTC
Apple Pay and Google Pay
Borrow money at 0% interest
Refer friends and get $25
Get $25 after you “stake” €350
1% or 2% cashback
Free Spotify or Netflix only for 6 months
Reward only in CRO
Refer friends and get $25
What is the Plutus card?
Plutus is a debit card with crypto rewards: you earn a cryptocurrency called PLU (Pluton) each time you pay with the card. The cashback on the Plutus card is quite attractive compared to other alternatives like the Nexo card, Crypto.com visa card, or Lemon. You get an equivalent between 3% to 8% cashback, that’s a lot! Plus, you can use that money right away on your next purchase, there’s no trick or nothing hidden with that money you get back. You can also get a €10 gift for each friend you refer to Plutus.
Every time you spend with a Plutus Card, you earn 3% back in crypto rewards (PLU) which can be used to unlock additional benefits. In supported EEA countries, you can convert and spend their crypto assets at over 60+ million merchants. The crypto is converted into euros via a decentralized exchange (DEX).
The best part of Plutus is what they call Plutus Perks: every month, you can choose a free “perk”. A Perk is a benefit you will get for free (reimbursed), up to a certain amount every month. For example, if you choose a Spotify rebate or a Netflix rebate as your perk, you pay for the service with your Plutus card, and automatically get reimbursed the same amount you pay in PLU.
The philosophy behind Plutus is “don’t buy crypto, earn it!”. They advocate for making crypto on your everyday spending rather than you having to actively choose to buy crypto. It’s quite convenient if you don’t like to think much about loyalty programs (like points or miles), and can be very rewarding after a few months of using it.
Let’s have a look at some of the Plutus features.
What are Plutus Perks?
Plutus Perks is one of the best money-saving features of Plutus, and allows users to earn additional PLU Rewards on specific brands, choosing them among a list of top-level brands available. All Plutus users are entitled to at least 1 perk, and the number can be increased up to 8 perks total based on your account subscription plan and staking level.
Among the Perks, you can select Netflix, Spotify, Curve, Amazon Prime, Apple One, Disney+, ASOS, eBay, Uber Eats, Starbucks, Deliveroo, Shell, Booking, Airbnb, ALDI, Sainsbury’s, LIDL and Tesco (with more to come).
How to choose a Plutus Perk? (Plutus Netflix Rebate)
- Sign-up for Plutus (Get €10 with my link after you deposit €20)
- Deposit your first €20 to order your card (via bank transfer)
- Activate your card once you receive it via mail, using the CVV code and the Plutus app
- Top-up your Plutus card from your Plutus account.
- Go to the Perks tab and select the “current month” perk and “next month” perk.
- Set the Plutus card as your perk payment method.
- Plutus will reimburse the equivalent of your payment (in PLU tokens) after the transaction has been made.
Unlike other crypto rewards cards, Plutus offer different subscription tiers that you can pay for to get more rewards. The concept is really interesting, as it is similar to “maintenance fees”, but you can get better spending limits and more perks. If you do the math, it is totally worth it, even the most expensive plan. If you get Premium, you pay €15 but you get €40 back in Perks.
Plutus subscription plans are:
- Price: €0
- 3% Crypto Rewards on up to €250 per month spend (max cashback €7.5)
- 1 Perk (worth €10)
- 1% fee on DEX
The total amount of money you can get back with Plutus Starter is €17.5 per month (€60+€20-€4.99). Not bad for being a free card!
- Price: €4.99
- 3% Crypto Rewards on up to €22.500 per month spend (max cashback €60)
- 2 Perk (worth €20)
- 0% fee on DEX
The total amount of money you can get back with Plutus Everyday is €75 per month (€60+€20-€4.99)
- Price: €14.99
- 3% Crypto Rewards on up to €250 per month spend (max cashback €675)
- 3 Perk (worth €30)
- 0% fee on DEX
The total amount of money you can get back with Plutus Premium is €690 per month (€675+€30-€14.99)
Staking PLU to get more rewards
Plutus lets you stake PLU to unlock additional benefits (similar to staking CRO on Crypto.com). However, keep in mind that the PLU token is more expensive and it can be hard to stake even the entry-level rewards. On the bright side, keep in mind that with even the most basic Hero level, you get 4 more perks (worth €40 extra per month!), as well as 4% cashback.
Plutus lets you stake at the following level:
- Hero: Stake 250 PLU (€2297) and get 4% rewards and 4 Perks (worth €40 per month)
- Veteran: Stake 500 PLU (€4595) and get 5% rewards and 5 Perks (worth €50 per month)
- Legend: Stake 1000 PLU (€9190) and get 6% rewards and 6 Perks (worth €60 per month)
- G.O.A.T: Stake 2000 PLU (€18380) and get 8% rewards and 8 Perks (worth €80 per month)
Plutus Pros and Cons
Plutus compared to Nexo or Crypto.com has pros and cons, here are some of the most important ones
- Better entry-level rewards: Get €10 for free, 1 perk per month, and 3% cashback in PLU.
- Plutus Perks: choose among many sellers you can get reimbursed for, e.g. a Spotify rebate or a Netflix rebate.
- Option to pay a maintenance fee to get more rewards (subscriptions).
- Noncustodial wallet (so only you have access).
- Free shipping on your card.
- Refer your friends and get €10.
- Rewards are only in PLU, no Bitcoin or ETH (but you can exchange them easily).
- It is more expensive to stake than the Crypto.com card.
- Getting more rewards requires you to pay a subscription (maintenance fee).
- No Apple Pay (but you can connect it to Curve and fix it)
Combining Plutus and Curve
Plutus and Curve have a partnership. Not only can you use Curve to enable Apple Pay on your Plutus card (read the step-by-step guide here), but also you can choose Curve as one of Plutus Perks, to get free Curve Black.
In addition, you can combine Curve to get extra cashback both using Curve and Plutus (they will each pay you separately, but you will accumulate the rewards back! as I wrote in this example.
Is the Plutus Card worth it?
The Plutus card offers great benefits compared to its competitors, even the free version. With 1 free Perk per month and 3% cashback on up to €250, you can easily score a total of €17.50 per month for free. That’s €210 a year! The best part is that you can choose your perk and change month by month, so you can easily get a Spotify rebate or a Netflix rebate using your Plutus card, as I was doing with my Crypto.com visa card.
Overall, I think it is a great card to try out and evaluate how it works. You can use this trick to top up your Plutus account without paying currency exchange fees. At €17.50 per month, the Plutus starter card won’t change your life dramatically, but again, who doesn’t like free stuff? Plus, it is really easy to set up.
Have you tried the Plutus card already? Let me know in the comments or send me a message on Instagram anytime.
Until next time!