SAS Mastercard Fly Premium: Pay Economy But Fly Business Class (2023)
The SAS Mastercard Fly Premium is one of the most lucrative benefits of the SAS EuroBonus World Mastercard Premium from SEB. It lets you book a EuroBonus award trip upgrading to SAS Plus or even SAS Business for free, depending on your EuroBonus account activity in the past 12 months. In practice, it means a 40% discount on the SAS Business price.
What is ‘Fly Premium’?
‘Fly Premium’ is a benefit from the SAS EuroBonus World Mastercard Premium credit card, by SEB. The highest-tier card costs 1855 SEK per year, but it includes a myriad of benefits such as increased earning rates, status points, and better insurance.
Fly Premium is not a feature you get by default. You qualify for it based on your EuroBonus account activity. If you earn a given number of points in the last 12 months, then you get the feature in different tiers. The tiers are:
- 0 – 50k points: one free upgrade to SAS Plus within Scandinavia (maximum 1 trip)
- 50k – 100k points: unlimited free upgrades to SAS Plus within Europe
- 100k-200k points: unlimited free upgrades to SAS Plus anywhere
- 200k+ points: unlimited free upgrade to SAS Business or SAS Plus anywhere
Note that it doesn’t matter where you get the points from. It is not necessary to obtain the points from the SAS Mastercard. You can earn them from flying, online shopping, car rentals, or other cards. You only need to be a card member to get the benefit.
The upgrades are based on award availability. As long as there are SAS Go and SAS Pus/SAS Business seats, you will be able to apply for the Fly Premium benefit and upgrade.
The upgrade is only valid for award trips (i.e. when you book with points), and the amount represents up to a 40% points discount.
With Fly Premium you book bonus trips and enjoy a higher ticket class for both you and your fellow travelers. You travel in SAS Plus Bonus or SAS Business Bonus and get access to Fast Track and SAS lounges in connection with your trip – but you only pay for SAS Go Bonus.
SAS Mastercard Fly Premium (Walkthrough)
In this video, we walk through the SAS Mastercard page on how to track your status, and we do a tutorial on how to book a flight on sas.se using this benefit once you have obtained it.
How to use SAS Mastercard Fly Premium
- Log in to SAS.
- Start the booking by choosing points – continue as usual.
- On the page where you select flights, there is a link to current offers at the top.
- Click, select Fly Premium, and desired flight. Book SAS Plus Bonus or SAS Business Bonus.
- Your Fly Premium price is automatically updated to the Go Bonus price. Continue booking as usual.
Here’s an example of upgrading from SAS Go to SAS Business, when booking from Stockholm to New York.
Here’s another example using Fly Premium, this time from Stockholm to Chicago. Note that there is no availability (no seats) on SAS Business, so the system only lets me upgrade to SAS Plus.
Fly Premium: Terms and Conditions
- The points earned in the EuroBonus program (Basic and Extra points), in the last 12 months, determine the Fly Premium level/balance.
- Points transferred from family members or friends and the 1000 monthly points, which can increase your EuroBonus level, are not counted in the balance.
- When a given level is reached, you can book at that level for the next 12 months.
- For each month that the level is maintained, the possibility to book bonus trips at this level is extended by the corresponding time.
- If a higher level is achieved, it will automatically apply for the next 12 months.
- The level is calculated monthly as of the last day of the month.
- All standard bonus trips in SAS EuroBonus can be booked as a one-way round trip with Fly Premium.
- Fly Premium applies when there is the availability of SAS Plus Bonus or SAS Business Bonus on the current flight.
Fly Premium is a real win when you have an active EuroBonus account that can reach 50k, 100k, or even 200k points a year. Just by getting the SAS EuroBonus World Mastercard Premium, you can upgrade for free to a better cabin, not just for you but also for your fellow travelers. For frequent travelers on SAS, this is a no-brainer. It’s not as good for Star Alliance flights, tho, as the Fly 2 for 1 vouchers from the SAS Amex.
What a brilliant post, thank you for sharing!