How to order A European Health Insurance Card in Sweden (FREE and IMPORTANT)
If you live in any EU country, you should order a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card before traveling abroad. With an EHIC, you can get healthcare in another EU country as in your home country without the need for any extra travel insurance. The EHIC will save you later headaches if you get sick during your trip.
UPDATE: Check this post, where I had to use it for the first time while I was in Spain.
What is the European Health Insurance Card?
A free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country.
The benefits covered include, for example, benefits provided in conjunction with chronic or existing illnesses as well as in conjunction with pregnancy and childbirth.
Cards are issued by your national health insurance provider.
What does the European Health Insurance Card NOT Cover?
Important – the European Health Insurance Card:
- is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property.
- does not cover your costs if you are traveling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment.
- does not guarantee free services. As each country’s healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country.
How to order the European Health Insurance card (Step-by-step)
- Go to the official EU website (EHIC)
- Scroll down to “National Information and Contacts”
- Choose your home country
- Select “Order the European Health Insurance Card”
- You’ll be redirected to your country’s website. Follow the steps there.
In Sweden, this card is issued by Försäkringskassan. The next steps are valid in Sweden.
Försäkringskassan EU kort
You will be redirected to “Beställ EU-kort” (order EU-card) and asked for your personal number (ID)
Fill in your ID and click on the Beställ EU Kort blue button. You’ll get a confirmation right away!
If you wish to order another card, select Gör en beställning till. You can also choose to print a confirmation.
A few days later, you’ll get your card in the mail to your registered address. That’s it!
Enjoy, and make sure to have the EU kort with you every time you travel within the EU!