AAdvantage status got way simpler! Great news from American Airlines (2022)
American Airlines just announced a new and simpler way to earn miles in their program while qualifying for elite status. To be honest, the past 5+ years have been a mess for US airlines, with their programs introducing messy rules and schemes to qualify for higher tiers or redeeming miles for tickets.
aAdvantage status in 2022
American Airlines is unifying the way to qualify for Loyalty Points, and there’s only one metric: 1 mile = 1 loyalty point. This means that each mile that gets deposited in your account qualifies for status. Hence, all the miles you spend shopping or with your credit card now also count towards a higher tier.
This is extremely useful when considering the AAdvantage eShopping portal, which has miles multipliers. I have been using this portal to get miles, for example, on Booking.com. When I travel with family, we easily spend 4-5k USD, and with 4x multipliers, that’s 20k AAdvantage miles in the bucket!
Maybe they introduced this new measure given that many people that use to travel a lot, now they are not in the post-covid era.
IMHO, these are great news as they will make it easier for a lot of people to qualify for some of the entry-level tiers and enjoy some of the benefits.
Earn miles, earn points, earn status
Starting in 2022, instead of Elite Qualifying Miles, Elite Qualifying Dollars, and Elite Qualifying Segments, you’ll only have one status metric: Loyalty Points. Simply earn Loyalty Points whenever you fly, use an AAdvantage® credit card for purchases, or earn eligible miles with AAdvantage® partners. It’s all part of the new AAdvantage® program, and yes, it’s really that easy.
How many Loyalty Points do you need to earn AAdvantage® status?
- AAdvantage Gold: 30,000 Loyalty Points
- AAdvantage Platinum: 75,000 Loyalty Points
- AAdvantage Platinum Pro: 125,000 Loyalty Points
- AAdvantage Executive Platinum: 200,000 Loyalty Points
Earn when you fly, and when you buy
- Traveling on status-qualifying airlines
- Starting on January 1, 2022, American Airlines AAdvantage® credit card members will earn one Loyalty Point for every one eligible AAdvantage® mile earned from purchases using their U.S. or internationally-issued AAdvantage® credit card.
- Shop, dine, travel and more with our partners and watch your miles and savings add up faster.
Level up faster
Status members earn additional miles on base flight miles earned when traveling with American and our partners, helping to re-qualify faster with additional Loyalty Points.